Thursday, November 3, 2011

Fall at the Farm

Fall is one of my favorite times of year
It cooler for one, and in the deep South, after a long, hot and dry summer, cool air is a welcome change

Fall is also a wonderful time of year on my family's farm
Just like us, the cows are happy to feel some relief from the heat


Fall also happens to be calving season on our farm

The new baby calves are so precious and tiny, just like a human...only a tad bigger, like say, 90 pounds!

They stick close to their moms, who keep a very watchful eye on them.
They spends lots of time nursing, while mom spends lots of time munching on hay 



This soon-to-be mom was taking a relaxing afternoon dip!  It may be cooler in Georgia, but it's still technically "pool" weather...


enjoying a much needed afternoon snack


It was so peaceful while I shot these pictures.  No one was around except me, my puppy, and 25 new mothers and their babies.  And the best part, no one was crying!


How precious are these babies?


Can you believe in just a little over a year, they'll be this size?


This little guy was the only one who really paid me any attention...
I think he wanted to play

Running towards me

then decided that wasn't a good idea...

I love this mama cow, Miss Lucy
 

She gave me several different faces while I took her picture

Sticking out her tongue

A little wink




Ok, enough of that, back to dinner

And yes, its still fly season, too!  One good cold snap and they should be gone!


This is also another favorite and a story of a sort of adoption.
This white mama cow's baby calf was born dead and the little black baby cow's mom died shortly after giving birth to him.  Since Mom didn't have a baby and Baby didn't have a mom, my Dad tried a little experiment.  He put them in the same pen to see if the mom would adopt the little baby.  And she took right to him!  They have bonded over the last month and she has let him nurse everyday (thats what he is doing in this picture and why you can barely see him!).  
She is also one protective mama!  She wouldn't even let me in the pen to take their picture.  She was not having anybody mess with her baby!  


Hope y'all have enjoyed this little sneak peak of life on the farm.  Between the beautiful leaves, sweet babies, and cooler air, it truly felt like heaven.  

I simply love it here
To check out more about the farm, check out this post



Happy Weekend, Friends

15 comments:

Sara Louise said...

The adoption story is so very sweet. I'm happy for baby cow and Mama cow :-)

Pinecone said...

I love the pics of Mama Cow... well all of them really, but Mama is a standout ;)

I didn't comment before on your new house - it looks so pretty, and I can't wait to see the inside!!

Have a great weekend! xo Ashlyn

I Do Declare said...

That is the sweetest story about the cows!!! Love it! And congrats on the new house!

Jenny N said...

oh. my. gosh. the adoption story is so precious!! ahhh!! I'm dying.

I love baby cows especially, they look so..confused all the time. haha.

Jess at Just Rainbows and Butterflies said...

I love these pics. They reminded me of my family's farm in Virginia. Thanks for sharing and reminding me of home this am.

JMW said...

What beautiful images - the calves are adorable. This is may favorite time of year - the colors, the smells, everything.

April of Smidge Of This said...

What a sweet story. Nature is so cool. :)

Tessa said...

i adore cows. When I was little we lived in a small village in germany, in a home surrounded by three farms. we played with the animals, sat with the farmers on their tractors so we could swipe apples out of the trees, got fresh eggs from the chickens in the mornings, and fresh milk from the cows on occasion, which I wasn't all too excited about. the cows, well they were always my favorite. such gentle souls. last year jimmy surprised me with a painting of a cow as a christmas gift. the painting is named clementine and seeing her sweet face hanging in our family room makes me happy. these pictures and the adoption story are just too precious for words. have a great weekend. i swear you are ready to start having babies of your own. you certainly have the mothering instinct. I can hear it in the way you write!! xo, Tessa

Jamie said...

Love this post :)

I grew up on my grandparent's farm and there were always cows around! The farmer who had the cows no longer uses the land so I miss seeing the cows!

Travel With Lulu said...

So smart to put the two of them together! So sweet. You are living the dream, in my opinion :) XOL

Ashley said...

Such sweet pictures! Hope you had a wonderful weekend!

Liz said...

I love how peaceful these pictures are. Thanks for sharing and hope your are settling in to the new abode!!

Alexandra Bee Blog said...

Fall is my favorite time of the year! I love your farm pictures, especially the ones of Miss Lucy!

williampeter said...


Hello, My name is Faith am from USA ..... and I am very happy for posting on this blog on how a great spell caster helped me bring back the love of my life. I know there are lots of women like me out there who have done so much just to have back their Husband, I am here to tell you all to search no further because the answer is right here. I sincerely believe if there are up to five spell casters like DOCTOR WTAHA this world would be a better place, I contacted him and shared my problems to him and he gave me the terms and conditions, which I obeyed, it only took 3 days for my husband to come back home begging for my forgiveness. To cut the long story short. I am now living happily with my husband. Thanks to Dr TWAHA . Contact him now on email: drlregbeyen10000@gmail.com . Or reach him on whats app +2349038518881 or call him . He can save your marriage or relationships too.

Jessica L. Smith said...

After being in relationship with Wilson for seven years,he broke up with me, I did everything possible to bring him back but all was in vain, I wanted him back so much because of the love I have for him, I begged him with everything, I made promises but he refused. I explained my problem to someone online and she suggested that I should contact a spell caster that could help me cast a spell to bring him back but I am the type that don’t believed in spell, I had no choice than to try it, I meant a spell caster called Dr Zuma zuk and I email him, and he told me there was no problem that everything will be okay before three days, that my ex will return to me before three days, he cast the spell and surprisingly in the second day, it was around 4pm. My ex called me, I was so surprised, I answered the call and all he said was that he was so sorry for everything that happened, that he wanted me to return to him, that he loves me so much. I was so happy and went to him, that was how we started living together happily again. Since then, I have made promise that anybody I know that have a relationship problem, I would be of help to such person by referring him or her to the only real and powerful spell caster who helped me with my own problem and who is different from all the fake ones out there. Anybody could need the help of the spell caster, his email: spiritualherbalisthealing@gmail.com or WhatsApp him +15068001647
you can email him if you need his assistance in your relationship or anything. CONTACT HIM NOW FOR SOLUTION TO ALL YOUR PROBLEMS

 
Blog Design by Sweet Simplicity