Monday, November 29, 2010

Thanksgiving with the Fam

We had a pretty traditional Thanksgiving - T and I headed to my parent's farm Wednesday after work.  We spent the weekend eating, watching football, shopping, shooting guns, and farming.

Our Thanksgiving meal was wonderful.  I contributed a pumpkin pie and my Mom and Grandmother contributed the rest.  We had turkey (that was awesome!), macaroni and cheese, broccoli casserole, sweet potato casserole, dressing and gravy (my grandmother makes the best dressing!), and more.  It was all so good.

Mattie waiting for a treat..


After lunch, my brother decided we need some entertainment, so we went to shoot pumpkins.  Yes, I admit it, we are rednecks.  I will say, it was great fun and better than just sitting around after such a big lunch.

So my Mom's lovely centerpiece...went from this...



Ready, set, shoot...


To this...


This was T's first Thanksgiving with my fam.  Besides the fact I think we scared him with our pumplin shooting, I think he had a good time.  This is him getting ready to go do farmwork with my Dad  - I'm surprised Daddy let him get in the truck with that Aubarn gear on.

 

My brother knows all about guns, so he decided it was time that my little cousin learn how to shoot.  He taught him on the same 22 rifle that my Papa (granddad) taught him on.  Don't worry - all safety procedures were followed!   My brother was always with him holding the gun and he loved every minute of it.

Here he is learning about how to shoot.  




Later that night, I went outside to find my brother in a tree...literally.  He has started repelling, and besides the fact that it scares me to death, it does seem pretty fun.  It was a beautiful night, so I snapped some pictures of him.  






We came home Saturday night, and made it to church Sunday morning.  After looking for awhile, I think we have finally found a church family we really like!  T and I both grew up Methodist, but have started going to a Presbyterian church.   We attended several churches here and although they were fine, nobody really talked to us.  I know that its hard to know who is a visitor, but it means a lot when you don't know anyone if someone comes up and shakes your hand.  I'm very thankful for our new church this holiday season!

In other news, our good friends are having a baby next Tuesday or sooner...This is my first friend to have a child - SO, question, what's a good casserole to bring after the baby is born?  Or should I even take a casserole?  I'm new to this whole thing...

4 comments:

Tessa said...

my 8 yr old would love your pumpkin shooting, but alas, so guns, no hunters, no farms so there will be none of that in his future! :) sounds like the perfect thanksgiving! i really need a good dressing/stuffing recipe...your grandma wouldn't care to share hers would she? As for your friend...no lasagna! I can't tell you how many people bring that after you have a baby. I love making beef enchiladas for new moms. i'll email you my recipe if you want it, just let me know. But after my 2 children were born the thing that I remember enjoying the most was an edible fruit arrangement. It wasn’t a dinner, but those chocolate dipped apple slices and strawberries with skewers of fresh pineapple really were the tastiest thing we ever got.

Kat said...

Casseroles are always a welcome treat when a new baby arrives! A yummy homemade soup and biscuits/cornbread is another idea. Poppyseed chicken is another easy/good one. Any comfort food, i.e. mac n cheese, chicken, whatever sounds good will always work too! A lot of people will bring pasta/lasagna, so you might want to do something different. (If you don't feel like cooking, you can always swing by Publix and pick up their family meal, it's about ten dollars and includes either a rotisserie or fried chicken, two sides and sweet rolls.)

Michele said...

That's so sweet of you to take food to your friend who is having a baby. I so appreciated food after my two little ones were born. I agree with Kat that Poppyseed chicken is a great casserole. I always take homemade mac and cheese, too. I also like the dessert chocolate cobbler (it's on my blog under recipes). Never underestimate a gift card either. I've given gift cards to Pei Wei or Jason's Deli to new parents and they were very appreciative. I really liked the photos of the sunset that you posted. We own land in the country and hope to build there some day. I hope to see sunsets like that. Heavenly!

Tessa said...

Hi Katie, I couldn't find your email so I'll post the recipe here... not sure this is an even trade for your grandma's dressing recipe. :) How sweet is she to share it!! This is an old Southern Living recipe I made over and over again and it's easy peasy.

1 lb. ground beef
1 small onion, chopped
1 (10 3/4 oz) can tomato soup, undiluted
1 (10 oz) can mild enchilada sauce
8 (7 or 8 inch) flour tortillas
2 cups (8 oz) shredded cheddar cheese, divided

Directions:
Cook beef and onion in a large skillet over medium-high heat until meat is browned; drain and return to skillet.
Stir soup and enchilada sauce into meat mixture. Spread 1/4 c. meat mixture onto each tortilla; sprinkle tortillas evenly with 1 c. cheese. Roll up tortillas; place, seam side down, in a greased 13x9 baking dish. Pour remaining meat mixture over tortillas.
Cover and bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle with remaining 1 c. cheese; bake 5 more minutes or until cheese melts.

I bring thinly sliced iceberg lettuce, sour cream and some chopped cilantro to serve with it.
Also, when I've got time I make my own salsa, also easy. I shared the recipe on my blog last summer, it's under my recipe tab.

Happy cooking. Whatever you bring she will be so appreciative!

 
Blog Design by Sweet Simplicity