Sunday, October 24, 2010

antiques, parentals and football

My parents had intended to go to the UGA/KY game this weekend, but Mom had been battling a bad cold all week and wasn't up for the drive.  So (!) instead they came to see me in Savannah.  

My parents brought with them a load of furniture from my old house in Alabama and an antique bookcase I had refinished.  So now our guest room is all setup and we are ready for visitors (yay! you don't have to sleep on an air mattress anymore!  rejoice!)

Brother, Me, Mom and Dad - Hilton Head 2007
I wish I had a before picture of the bookcase because I don't think most people would believe the transformation.  This piece has been sitting in my grandparent's barn for over 50 years (my dad can remember it as a child).  The lower left glass panel and some of the molding around the top were missing, but it still had the original hardware and key.  It was filthy(!!!) and had been home to many, many generations of dirt dobbers.  I took it to a restoration guy in Athens before T and I got married.  He was awesome and told us the piece was built around 1880.  I hadn't seen it since I dropped it off four months ago, so I was thrilled to see the transformation!  I think he did an awesome job!

Even though it is really a bookcase, I'm going to use it as my china cabinet.  So, thats on my to-do list for this week.  


This piece got me thinking about all the hand-me-down furniture T and I have in our house.  My grandmother LOVED to decorate and buy antiques.  She was such a great decorator and wonderful person, and she passed along her passion for such things to me.  When she died, I found stacks and stacks of Traditional Home, Veranda, and Southern Accents that she had kept.  In many of them she had marked the pages she liked - It's such a treasure to have these. 

Here are some of the pieces...

This isn't furniture, but it's still something I hope to have always hanging in my house/office.  My grandfather grew up in the depression.  His family was the epitome of poor.  His parents lost their farm and were forced to move.  Despite these set-backs, my grandfather went to college and law school - and eventually, bought the family farm back (where my parents now live).  His hard work is an inspiration.  I keep his diplomas around to remind me just how lucky I am and how great my grandparents truly were.


This bird dog picture is from T's grandparents house and is hanging in our office as well.



This is some of the guest room furniture my parents brought down.  It was in my grandparents guest room and it's where I used to sleep as a child.  It has a footboard that is very similar to the headboard, but we didn't use it because the room felt too cramped.


I love this bedside table - I wish I had two of them.  Notice the dogwood flowers!


This is also in our guest room.  I had this recovered last year.  My grandfather used to sit in it and read in their front living room.  I'm not sure how great of idea the white fabric choice was...


This is our TV stand, but used to be in my grandparents house.  My dad told me this weekend that my grandmother bought it in Rome (Georgia :) and had the marble top cut for it when she got back home.


Decanters from my grandmother.


Bread bowl that was my great-grandmothers.  When my brother and I were really little we used to lay in the bowl and spin each other round and round.


Our kitchen table.  T's awesome dad refinished for him.  One of my favorite things in our house.


Little side table in our bathroom.  This is from my other my other grandparents.  My grandmother has lived with my parents since my Papa passed away 6 years ago.  Such amazing grandparents and people.

hate, hate, hate that scale.  wish i could hide it somewhere forever.

This mirror and lamp are from my grandmother.  The antlers are all T.


In other news, we had a great time watching football!  It's a great day when both Auburn and UGA win. We went to eat at the Crab Shack before the game.  If you ever come to Savannah, go eat there!  It is a great atmosphere and awesome, awesome food!  When my Dad started dipping sausage in the butter, my mother said it was time to go.



T arrived safe and sound back from Auburn.  He is in our bedroom re-watching the AU game - I think he may need to be committed!

Hope you peeps had an awesome weekend!  xx.

No comments:

 
Blog Design by Sweet Simplicity